Popular Posts

Sunday, November 7, 2010

And at that Time a Decree Went Out that All the World Should Be Enrolled

That's right folks, it's census time in China! I have seen advertisements all around town, and even got a visit from some women a few months ago. I guess that was the advance team, however, and not the real peeps. Of course, people living with residency papers is a big problem in China, and I assume the census is in no small part an attempt to get a handle on the illegals. Sort of like living along the Mexican border, you know. 

Well, today there was a pounding on the door. My Canadian friend had already left the building and there is still a lot of construction going on in the place, so I didn't think much of it. But it kept on... Wait, was there someone at the door.

Sure enough, two ladies in their census outfits were at my door. Suddenly, the whole floor was involved. The family across the hall were on their way out, and the man spoke a little English. I was supposed to fill in something, but I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to write down my current address (which I don't know) or my birthplace. Because frankly, the census women know my address. The form was partly in English, but it asked for things like "prefectures" and "townships" and whatnot. I don't even know what district I live in (I live across the street from school, but it's a different district. It's the "s" one -- but that doesn't cut it.)

So, as usual, I called my Handler. He talked to the women for 5 minutes and then they were very happy and thanked me profusely, and left.

After about 15 minutes, there was more knocking at my door. Huh? They were back with the same form. I filled out something on the inside, although I don't know if I did it correctly. There weren't check boxes. Was I supposed to write my name on every line? At least I know my birthday and my country of origin! I still ignored the front because I still don't know my address. (Seriously. I know where I live in the actual world, and I know my apartment number, but I don't know how to write it down -- or even say it. I can say my cross streets because that's what a taxi needs.) I signed the back, and then they gave me a present!

Yes, when you complete the census, you get a gift. It looks like a Swiss Army knife, but it has a spoon and a fork! Talk about useful. Strangely, though, it has no removable chopsticks. 

And those ladies were absolutely wonderful. Once the one spoke with my Handler, both their attitudes completely changed. They went from slightly annoyed and confused to, well, deferential. It's got to be the teacher thang. I can only assume that my Handler said I taught across the street. I don't think the xi-xis (thank-yous) were for my filling out the form; I think it was for teaching their children. Well, in my Imaginary Universe of Chinese Conversations, that's what they were saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment