Popular Posts

Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Warm Welcome

Every day, the Chinese staff is very good about asking me to lunch. It's not that the ex-pat staff is bad, just that I often am free at the same time as the Chinese staff. And unlike some places where I have worked in the past, they always ask me to come with them.

Today, I wanted to finish up something before lunch, so when my Handler said it was lunctime, I told him I would be down in a few minutes. As I was walking across campus, I ran into the Chinese principal of my school-within-a-school (within-a-school). She immediately started walking with me across and asked me about my experiences in China so far.

Now, as you all probably know, I can get a little excited about the things I do. My exuberance has definitely been noted. But hey, I can sit around and mope about the things that are strange or different, or I can enjoy myself and like what I'm doing. Things here are different, and they aren't all perfect, but they're not any worse, on the whole, than anyplace else I've been. I also get more expressive physically when talking to second-language speakers. It's easier to be understood if there is an obvious facial or body expression to help convey the meaning (I also have a rather large vocabulary, which can hinder communication). I'm also a ham.
The Chinese staff is always curious about what I've eaten, what I'm eating, and if I eat Chinese food. My principal walked me through the cafeteria, pointed out items and insisting that I try some things. I was forced to take a corn on the cob, even though I knew it would be lukewarm, unseasoned, over-cooked, and over-ripe (I was right). The baked, unseasoned, unbuttered sweet potato was better than the corn. Still, I don't recall anyone at a school making sure I was so well fed, and certainly not anyone in administration.

Then, if that were't enough, the ex-pat principal of my school came and sat down with us. I had lunch with both of my principals. Just, you know, whatever. Lunch at the cafeteria. It'd be cool if it weren't so disconcerting.

No comments:

Post a Comment