Popular Posts

Friday, September 10, 2010

Finally

I have had a couple of mini-observations this week. (My company is rather keen on observations. They say there are only four, but it's four plus the two early min-observations plus the one more formal observation from a guy at HQ and maybe one or two more beyond that. Whatever.)

So, I pulled out all the stops, but not really. I taught the way I've been teaching for the last three (four) years. I move them from individual to group work, from group to individual, I write important points on the board while I deliver the material orally (thanks Al!), I give them the rationale behind the things we do, I praise the things they do well, I give them opportunities to get things better a second time. As far as I am concerned, these are best practices. It's just how I do.

Well, I got full marks on both my mini-observations. Some notes in particular mention that I show a lot of individual attention and that telling them that I know they have been sitting quiety is good. Maybe I, too, will become a spoiled and lazy teacher working with these kids, but I hope not. Those are the things you HAVE to do in order to have any semblance of learning in my old classrooms. I could never send the kids off on their own without skads of scaffolding and a few safety nets (and maybe a parachute and a back-up parachute). The activities certainly work better because the students try to do them (sometimes they are even textbook), but that doesn't change the way I want to teach.

Hell, I get bored when they sit quietly for 40 minutes. 

It's also nice that I get to bring in all these cool teaching techniques I learned in the States and share them with a bunch of Brits. Sure, some things are the same, but my principal had never seen a "whip" before. You might know the whip: Have all the students stand, ask them a question, then whip around the room. Each student gives an answer and sits down. 

It's nice to get the recognition and have it written down on a piece of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment