Popular Posts

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Jiao Shi Jie Kuai Le

Which translates as "Happy Teachers' Day"! 

September 10 is Teachers' Day in China. And let me tell you, this is no lip service to celebrating teachers. This isn't just a continental breakfast or taco bar in the staffroom. This isn't some baked goods dropped off by the PTA. This isn't a chintzy paper holder from the union or a pack of sticky notes from admin. Don't get me wrong, those things are nice, but this is like that but better. 

It started yesterday. Some students brought by a copy of the International Department photo with a card. Later, when I bought a few pencils and erasers from the school store, the stationary woman pulled a card off the wall and gave it to me. At the end of the day, a box of grapes and a box of mangos were delivered, not to the staffroom or to each office, but to each teacher. Yes, I have a BOX of grapes (that's six of the bags you'd buy at the store) and a BOX of mangos (there are 5 of them). Last night, the International Department took all the teachers and admin out to dinner -- with drinks. (Not crazy drinks, but beer and wine were provided.) The food kept coming and it was pretty good. The sweet-and-sour fish and the kung pao shrimp and kung pao chicken were great. We were supposed to get movie or karaoke afterwards, but I think everyone realizied it was too late for crazy shenanigans, so a few of us went out for a couple more drinks and light shanigans. 

And then there is today. My Chinese counterpart has been observing in my classes because she will take over a couple of my classes from me. She gave me a beautiful silk scarf -- she noticed that I wore a scarf last Friday so she gave me another one. It's gorgeous, and as an English teacher, I am contractually obliged to wear scarves on a regular basis. I'm wearing it now. Then, my first class gave me a card. Then my second class gave me an umbrella that they had all signed. It's pretty sweet. While talking to some other teachers, a swarm of my freshman (who I do not see today) gave me a handful of carnations. I'm not sure if my last class will come up with anything, but I hear there is another card in the works. 

I don't think there's anything else major in the works, but the way these last two days have been, anything could happen. I don't need anything else, but after yesterday's boxes of fruit, nothing would surpise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment