Popular Posts

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Teacup Humans

In season 2 of True Blood, Eric -- the creepy (but good looking) vampire shariff of Area 5 -- has an interaction with human children. His assistant, Pam, does not like children -- she finds them creepy. Eric, on the other hand, thinks they are adorable, like "teacup humans". 

Ever since watching that episode, I have used "teacup" as a way to describe anything diminutive. 

It has never come in more handy than in China. 

It all began with the dishes that were provided for us. Awesome, I think. Cups and plates and mugs. I open the packages to wash everything, and I realize the mugs are, well, teacup sized. So are the plates. And the glasses. Everything, it seems, comes in teacup sizes. 

The teacups are just that -- teacups! 

And then we get a box of cereal. Ignore for a moment that the Cheerios are Honeynut (I prefer plain, non-sugary cereal), and consider the size of the box. I got three bowls of cereal out of one box. Three. Three normal, adult-woman-sized bowls of (Honeynut) Cheerios. 

Are you cereal? 

The glasses are maybe 8oz. The mugs are 6oz. The dinner plates are salad plate sized. The bags of potato chips (when you can find "Classic American Flavor" and not "Lemon Tea" or "Cucumber Lime" or "Cola" flavored chips) are laughable. 

But the teacup teacups are killing me. Once I make it to the Western side of the city, I've got my mind set on a nice 20oz mug -- or 10. After the land of the 32oz Big Gulp, 6oz just doesn't cut it.

(I haven't even attempted to try on a pair of pants.)

No comments:

Post a Comment