Popular Posts

Friday, December 24, 2010

Neighbors

As I was walking into my building last night, I heard the gentle pitter-pat of feet running to catch up with me. I looked back, and a little girl (3rd grade-ish) was racing for the door with her grandmother walking behind. I thought maybe she wanted to get in with my key card.

I waited and held the door open for both her and her grandmother. We stood at the elevator, she in her bright yellow hat (all the primary school children are issued yellow hats -- for safety) and I in my Santa hat (that I purchased at the market during lunch).

She turned to me and said in a bright cheery voice, "Merry Christmas."

We got in the elevator and she turned to me again and said, "How is your work going?" 

"Very well," I replied. "Your English is very good." 

"Thank you," she smiled.

Her grandmother looked on with obvious pride, and then I got off the elevator. We said our goodbyes -- in English and Chinese.

For everyone who stares at me, I get the occasional little girl chasing me down to practice her English.

No comments:

Post a Comment