Popular Posts

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Keep on Rocking (in the Free World)

I know I sometimes do things that you all find shocking and surprising.

Like, oh, I don't know: cross-country bike riding? Mountain climbing? Moving to China? Only to be told that I've been long considering <insert crazy idea here>. What can I say? I have a lot of interests.

So, this year for Christmas, I decided to treat myself to a new toy. I bought a bass guitar.

I almost bought one a few years back, but at the time I couldn't justify the expense. I just didn't make enough money to spend it on frivolities like guitars and amps. But now, with my new standard of living and the low cost of Chinese items, I decided it was time.

It doesn't hurt that a couple of the teachers play guitar, so they helped me pick her out. We went to "guitar street" and went in all the shops. I held a few, but mainly we looked at prices. I needed a nice, solid beginner bass. Nothing fancy. 

I finally settled on an Enorez bass. She has a nice balance and doesn't tip me over (like a teapot). I thought seriously about classic rocker black, but went for the more Josie and the Pussycat red. They tried to sell me a tiny amp, but the guys insisted it was far too anemic. We stepped up to a slightly larger amp that definitely gets louder (and loud enough to piss of my neighbors, if I so chose) and has a much nicer tone. 

Then it was time to bargain. We'd brought along my Partner-in-Crime's Chinese girlfriend. This woman (besides being incredibly nice) takes bargaining seriously. The list price of the bass was 1100 yuan and the amp was 350 yuan. I ended up paying 1200 yuan for the guitar, amp, strings, patch cord, and a case. She kept asking me if 1200 was OK (we had paused at 1300 for awhile). Yes, saving another 100 yuan is OK. 

So, I am now plucking awkwardly away in my living room. I have both found guitar tablature as well as some sheet music. I could read music way back when, and although I never learned the bass clef, it shouldn't take too much effort to figure it out. 

My Canadian advised me to wait awhile before settling on a name, but I was fairly certain of her name from the beginning: Alice. Malice Alice when I'm feeling particularly evil. 

If I record anything stellar, I'll let you all know. Hell, I'll probably make you listen even if I record anything non-stellar!


No comments:

Post a Comment