Popular Posts

Thursday, November 24, 2011

My Favorite Topic

Safety!

That's right. I've got another one for the "Don't you worry about dying?!" file.

While waiting for the water to boil for my coffee this morning, I was looking out the window at the construction across the street. (I am very excited for them to finish this building, because I think it's going to be a mall and my chances for a coffee shop next door will increase exponentially.) After a long year of nothing much visible going on, the structure is finally peeking about the fence and affords a more interesting view.

So this morning I notice the following: they are constructing a third floor, there are some squarish sections of rebar poles sticking up haphazardly in a few areas, the crane is hauling up another huge pile of rebar, a man is walking across the floor. Wait. I can see his head.

I don't mean I can see the bubbly bit on top of his shoulders. No, I mean I can see his actual hair. As in: he is not wearing a hard hat. On a construction site. While walking under a crane carrying a who-knows-how-heavy pile of steel rebar.

(To be fair, when I looked out the window this afternoon, all the workers were wearing brightly-colored hard hats. The dude this morning must have been a supervisor who didn't think he'd be around long enough to wear a helmet, or some such deal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment