Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Kids These Days

One of my students came in for her usual SAT tutoring session. (They are obsessed with their SAT scores. Some of them accost me at every spare moment for help with practice tests. To be fair, I do usually get the questions right (by usually, I mean I might have missed one or two of the hundreds of questions I have answered — can you say 800 boys and girls?), so I can't quite blame her for coming to me for help.)

One of today's reading was a paired selection about rock 'n roll. One of the two articles explained that the kids born in the 1940s are today's 50-year-olds (the article is from 1980), and they still love rock 'n roll (my parents excluded, of course). She looked at me for a moment.

I leaned back to my Partner-in-Crime and asked if he likes rock 'n roll (I know the answer is "yes" and I also know he is approaching that big 5-0 birthday). He said yes (what is that old lawyer saying about never asking a question you don't already know the answer to). I said I liked rock 'n roll. And we all know I'm old.

"But, don't you think it's too loud?" she asked?

What? Too loud? A 17-year-old child is asking me if music is TOO LOUD?

I reached for my iTunes (which was open, of course), unplugged my earphones, and turned up the volume. Then I found "Rock 'n Roll" by Led Zeppelin and let it rip.

I calmly went back to work. The next question asked about the meaning of a sentence ... a sentence about revolution, no less.

Well, that just demanded "Revolution" by the Beatles, so I let her have it.

You should have seen the look on her face for the opening guitar riff and yowl. Kids these days; they just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment