Popular Posts

Thursday, November 17, 2011

And the Band Played On

I went to the school's Germany Day (they love having themed cultural days around here). It was cute, in a mostly incomprehensible sort of way, seeing as I speak neither German nor Chinese. (But I was there representing the Kuehls anyway.) At the end of the assembly, the band got up and walked around the hall playing while all the actors danced around the stage. It was the closest I think I've ever been to life imitating a musical.

As the band made their first go-round the hall, I noticed that one girl's skirt seemed to be slipping off her hips. Hmm. I've seen boys with pants below their butts, but not pre-teen girls, and certainly not while marching around a room full of people. She didn't seem fazed. At all.

On the second pass around the room, her skirt appeared to be slipping even lower, and she wasn't making a move to pull it up. And then, wait... whoops! Her skirt fell to the floor. Just fell. There she was, in her tights. Playing the flute. Surrounded by people.

Um.

Uh.

And there were no jeers. No pointing and shouting. No tears. No running out of the room in embarrassment. She kept playing, and she moved out of sight, so she was still walking. My colleagues at the front of the room didn't notice a flute player without a skirt, so she must have pulled it back up at some point. I noticed her whisper something to her friend at the end of the number, but again, without any of the chagrin I would expect out of girl who had just flashed half the school.

Nope, she just played on.

No comments:

Post a Comment