Popular Posts

Monday, October 25, 2010

A Word about Food

I have been taking some random photos of food (as I do), and I think I finally figured out an easy way to show them to you. (Getting a new laptop 3 days before flying off doesn't leave a lot of time to set up systems.) So, here are a number of random photos and thoughts about said photos, all about eating in China.

It took me a couple of weeks to find the Western food stores. There are two in particular, Jenny Lou's and April Gourmet, that cater to a Western clientele. They are all on the other side of the city. Once I figured out how to use the subway and how to use Google maps (in Chinese), I was ready. This is a photo of what I bought on that first trip to Jenny Lou's. Notice all the tomato products (meaning I can eat my stand-by, spaghetti) and the Parmesan cheese. Also, the normal-sized box of Cheerios and the Pepperidge Farm cookies. And bread made without sugar.


From Chinese Food


It can be difficult to find Western spices, as well. There are lots of Chinese flavorings, however, including the "delicious" spice.

From Chinese Food


You can get some wonderful fruit and vegetables around here. Look at this awesome lime that I got to make salsa with.

From Chinese Food


Wait a minute... that's not a lime!

From Chinese Food


Yes. It's an orange.

I had to buy these yesterday, because we all know that the best thing to give away with a Snickers bar is AAA battery.

From Chinese Food


Of course, you couldn't do that in the West, because someone would eat the battery and sue Snickers.

Sometimes, you just have to make your own food.

The closest thing to cassoulet without an oven.

From Chinese Food


And the closest thing to a real breakfast.

From Chinese Food


The orange thing is a grit cake and the bacon is almost, but not quite totally unlike bacon. So far, it's the one essential thing I haven't been able to find at any price.

No comments:

Post a Comment