Popular Posts

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bemused

I am sitting on the plane getting ready to fly to Bangkok for a job fair. (How's that for a jet-setter? Except I don't think jet-setters actually need to care about jobs, but still.)

I sometimes forget what traveling in China is like. I just looked up to see a twenty-something man in a beige bowler hat with rabbit ears and a tail stuck to it. And we're not in the year of the rabbit anymore.

The women in front and behind me have no business on airplanes. They are screeching like harpies about who gets to sit next to whom (I presume) because there was a lot of shifting back and forth to go with the shouting. It is behavior more suited to a bus or a train in Hue than an international flight.

The Western man a few rows ahead was a bit perturbed because he was in the bulkhead row and most of the overhead bin was taken up with airline stuff -- some blankets, maybe a life raft, those fake seat belts they use to show how to insert the buckle (seriously, who can't figure that out by now?). However, he wasn't interested in placing his bag one row back in the almost empty bin. Instead, he started unpacking his bag (I think to make it thinner) so he could jam it in the space above his seat.

I had a row to myself for quite some time, but then my window-buddy showed (I'm in the aisle seat). He actually said excuse me and thank you, although, as a Chinese man, he seemed a little surprised when I got up out of my seat to let him in. Trust me, dude, it's easier than having you trip over my knees to squeeze by.

Two old ladies cut in front of me in the line to get on the plane (one was thrusting her ticket at the gate agent just so no one else (who had gotten there first) would get there first).

There's not much I can do. The best offense might be a good defense. My defense: bemusement. If I don't let it anger me, then it won't anger me. But let me tell you, it's sometimes tough for old-skool, uptight East-Coaster like myself.

Just start acting like adults already! Five thousand years of civilization and you can't board a plane without pushing, shoving, and shouting?!?! Gah!

P.S. I got up to use the restroom during the flight. It seemed strange that on a rather full flight, all three bathrooms would be available, so I tentatively pushed open the first door... Good thing men pee facing the toilet, because there was totally a dude in there pissing. For the love of the Little Baby Jesus, I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU PEE! I know we all do it, but I don't want to watch you, so lock the door already!

I also saw that Western Man eventually ended up putting his bag one row back. He was pawing through it as I was getting back to my seat.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Capital Airport, Beijing

No comments:

Post a Comment