Popular Posts

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Type A Personalities

I was at some business lunch a few years ago, and the speaker was talking about finding balance and joy in our busy lives (or some such nonsense). While I don't remember what she was actually selling, I do remember her description of a Type A personalities as people who stand in front of the microwave saying, "Come on, come on!" As if that would somehow make the 60 seconds it takes to heat up a Hot Pocket go faster.

And I admit, I do have some rather type-a moments in my life. You might have heard me refer to my Uptight, East-Coast Personality. Going slowly (unless I'm running) is not my thing. I don't want to spend any more time in the lane at the grocery store, or in the parking lot, or in getting from Point A to Point B than I absolutely have to. I want to spend my time AT wherever I'm going — cooking and eating my meal, using my new purchases, or enjoying Point B.

This leads to some frustrating moments on the sidewalk in China (as I'm pretty sure I mentioned before). On the whole, the Chinese do not rush. They walk a little slower, they walk arm-in-arm, they spend a little more time talking. It's laudable, don't get me wrong, but it's not me. I find myself constantly stuck behind a wall of Chinese people, treading up the backs of the their heels. (Of course, it wouldn't be so bad if weren't so darned hard to pass. I don't care if other people walk slowly; I just want the ability to walk quickly.)

Which makes the Chinese reaction in an elevator all that much more surprising. Every Chinese person I ever recall getting in an elevator with jumps on that "door close" button as soon as possible. A friend told me one that the door close button does absolutely nothing except give you a sense of agency; it doesn't actually close the door any faster. And yet, try to tell that to your Chinese neighbor who looks at you with a bit of surprise and distrust because you pushed a floor button, but not the "door close" button.

I haven't timed it, but it seems like the door might close a fraction of a second earlier if you push the button right after the floor button. I guess they just want to get out of the elevator a fraction of a second faster so they have that much more time on the sidewalk?

No comments:

Post a Comment