Popular Posts

Friday, December 2, 2011

File This Under Bizarre Gifts

Sometimes, the students give us little gifts. Usually, they involve little bits of paper folded into hearts or flowers or cranes, or sometimes just little notes. They're very cute.

Just now, one of my students came into my office to give me a gift.

"Ms. Scotty, I made you a potato heart."

I looked a little closer at what she was holding, because this student's English is not the best, and I wasn't sure I understood her correctly. A potato heart?

Sure enough, she had taken a piece of raw potato and carved it into a little heart.

"You will have to put it in water or it will oxidize," she told me.

Well, I dutifully walked down the hall to get a cup to put my heart in. What else could I do? And I now have a tiny bit of potato sitting in a cup of water on my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment