Popular Posts

Monday, January 3, 2011

Knock Knock

I was in the kitchen rolling some holiday nougets in powdered sugar, when I thought I heard a knock at the door. I wasn't expecting anyone, so I didn't immediately rush to the door. But there is was again. And again.

Note: my hands were covered in dough and melted powdered sugar, I was still in my pj's (hey! it's a vacation day), and my apartment looks like a tornado hit it.

My Partner-in-Crime has been having a problem with his downstairs neighbor. She has been complaining about his "tap-dancing" and his "skipping". Mind, she can only hear my Partner-in-Crime, not his girlfriend. Obviously, it's because he's foreign. 

So, I was worried that maybe I've been pissing people off between the TV and the bass.

But not at all. They asked to be invited in. They were carrying a large book. The little girl (the same one I met on the elevator before Christmas) gave me a paper crane with some New Year's sentiments on it. Here it comes, I thought. They are going to ask me about Jesus.

Silly me. No. It was a Chinese-English dictionary. They wanted to talk. The little girl wanted to meet me and practice her English. It is very good, although a little formal and formulaic. Not that I expect much out of and 8-year old. For 8, her English is superb. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up in my school in five more years. 

I think they will come back to visit.

At least my cleaning lady comes tomorrow so I won't have to be so embarrassed about the mess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment