Popular Posts

Monday, January 3, 2011

Dear L. L. Bean,

I know we've had our differences. I know we got into a tiff over the cycling shoes. I took a break from you; got some space and some clarity. And I know I shop at your competitors all the time -- Eastern Mountain Sports and REI and even Columbia. 

But when I need you, I mean really need you, you're there for me. 

Finding quality sporting goods in Beijing isn't easy. There are plenty of faux sporting goods and pseudo sporting goods. There are even sporting goods lite. Finding a good pair of Gortex boots is next to impossible.

And then I found out that you were in town.

Not only do you have one store in Beijing, you have many. You have a store that's only three subway stops away from where I live. I don't even have to go across town to get to you.

And you have proper hiking boots that fit my feet. My toes don't slip and my heals don't ride up. The soles are even Vibram. You also have backpacks. Solid, well-constructed backpacks. 

And I know that you will stand behind these products. If anything happens to them, I can take them back to you and you will fix them. No one in China does that. 

I promise not to leave them outside my tent at night. 

Perhaps more importantly, it's a little piece of Maine that I can keep with me.

Thank you, L.L. Bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment